Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Brew to Brew Relay

One of my favorite runs in the area is the annual Brew to Brew 43 mile Relay. It is traditionally a fun race where costumes are popular and encouraged. But here's the real hook, the race begins near downtown Kansas City at the Boulevard Brewing Co, the best local brewery in town. 43 miles later, you finish in downtown Lawrence, KS, home of the National Champion Kansas Jayhawks, and the Free State Brewery, hence the name 'Brew to Brew.'

Our team will consist of five runners, all from the local running club where I belong. The race may be run solo or with up to 5 total team runners. Each of us will run between 8 and 10 miles. We all arrive at the Boulevard Brewery at 7:30 am and prepare for our 8 am start. Yes, preparation for this race includes, you guessed it, BEER! The Brewery is open and they're pouring cold ones for the runners. I grab my glass of Boulevard Bully Porter and begin the carb-loading. Soon, I hop on the bus and take the short ride to the start as I will be the lead-off man. My legs will be approximately 8 miles.

My goal on this morning will be to run my legs of the relay as fast as I can, no holding back. I'm curious as to what pace I can do if I push myself hard. The first two legs of the race are along top the levees of the Kansas River. The conditions are nice, a flat, crushed gravel trail that winds through the city's industrial area. However, I've already made a big mistake.

Yes, the problem is now the unforgiving result of coffee, water and beer. Should I stop to go? There's no port-a-poties along the way, I would be forced to run down the steep embankment of the levee to find cover. I think to myself, "Suck it up, you wanted beer at 8 am, now live with the consequences!"

Soon, I've forgotten about stopping and I'm into a groove. As usual, I pick out a person in front of me doing a pace that is challenging and try to keep up. I don't own a Garmin (hint, hint to any family member that may read this) so I don't know my exact pace, but I feel I'm hitting my goal. The goal was to average under 9.00 minute/miles, something I have never done for more than 4 miles. The course had been changed slightly, so when I reached the end of my legs some 12 minutes earlier than expected, I was unsure of the overall pace. However, once I got home and mapped it on Google, the totals came back and I finished with a new personal record for any length run, a whopping 8.22 pace. Woohoo!!!



I've been extremely busy lately (major events for both my kids in the works) so I don't have much time right now. I'll update more and add some pics at a later date. Thanks for reading.







6 comments:

JWC said...

WOW.. 8:22 pace - very nice Rich!! Congratulations for a well-run race!

Lily on the Road said...

Sounds like an awesome race Rich! WOW, what an excellent pace too!

That's funny about the beer, we run a 15K race in Utica NY, called the BoilerMaker, brought to you by, yup you guessed it The Saranac Breweries....too much fun...

Kim said...

We've been looking for an update but totally understand the craziness of life! Great Job on your run! If only... :)Maybe one of these days...

Doug said...

An 8:22....obviously you did not have enough beer. It was free, you should have come in at 11:00 pace at best!

KC Stine said...

Doug, you're probably right! What am I going running strong in a 'fun' race?

Thanks everyone for the nice comments.

Lily on the Road said...

Love the pictures, I don't think they were there before, or am I just getting forgetful?