Saturday, April 19, 2008

Brew #2

The results are now in on my second attempt at homebrewing. I set out to brew a Scottish type ale, reminiscent of McEwens. After numerous taste tests, yes, that means I've tried one in many different settings; one right after work, one after a workout, one after dinner, one after taking a shower, and I must say, this brew has given favorable results in every setting. My son and his 2 years of eligible drinking seniority has also put on his stamp of approval.

This ale is a nice dark brown, full bodied and delivers a nice bite. The slightly smoky flavor seems to smooth out the experience. We shall aptly name this brew "Stine's Hip-Check Ale." For those of you that might not know the term hip-check (forgive me Canadian readers, I know you do!) it is old hockey language. A smooth skating defenseman would line-up the on-rushing forward and at the precise time, turn into the skater, leading with his hip, and deliver a check that sends the unsuspecting player into a tumble. Perfectly legal, of course. In old school hockey, the hip-check was a thing of beauty, a graceful check that produced a strong kick, so to speak.
Here's the recipe:
3.5 lbs Plain Light Malt Extract
3.5 lbs Plain Amber Malt Extract
2 oz Crushed Roasted Barley
8 oz Crushed Peat Smoked Malt
1 oz East Kent Goldings Hop (bittering)
1 oz Fuggle Hops (Finishing)
1 pack Ale Yeast

Reverse Empty Nest Syndrome

Recently, the beer has been disappearing faster than Ty Pennington rebuilds a house. Somehow, this last batch, which produces about 2 cases, has dwindled down to a 12-pack in a weeks time. This strange phenomenon was finally unraveled when I discovered my son had moved back home and was holed-up in the basement. Well, Ok, I knew he had moved back, but imagine the shock to these 2 old empty nesters who suddenly had a 100% spike in the grocery bill! It feels rather odd having someone back home after about a full year of freedom, but the stay should be short lived. Billy is in the process of purchasing his first home and expects to be moving back out soon. Of course, mom and dad will have to help with his finances until he finishes his degree. They must teach that in accounting nowadays, eh?
Billy's new home

Country Music Marathon

I will be heading off to Tennessee on the 24th and meeting up with my daughter, Alison, to run the marathon. I have set my ultimate goal at 4:15 and hope to at least be under 4:30. I feel ready and am excited to see if I can pull it off. After that, it's up to Michigan for a week's vacation, if you consider painting my parents condo a vacation! I may or may not have access to computers during the week, so it could be a week or so before I post the marathon report.

7 comments:

Doug said...

Good luck in Nashville. I have run that one twice and I really like that race.....man....looking at your beer recipe makes me want to brew some beer again. I have been just doing wine for a long time, but that sounded good.

JWC said...

Good luck Rich, can't wait to hear your report!

Kim said...

Enjoy your marathon. It was a nice, fun course. Good luck on that PR and have fun on your vacation!

Lily on the Road said...

Hey Rich have a great race, you sound pumped don't let any Canadians hip check you at the finish line ;^)!!

Cute house! Nice to know that the fledgelings can return once in awhile!! Even if they do drink all the beer....

Have fun painting and when you're done with your parents condo, you can come up and paint my place! Just kidding!

Good luck, we will want to hear all about your race!!

Nitmos said...

I hope you do great in the CMM and I look forward to hearing the details. This race is on my To Do list. Good luck!

Doug said...

Congratulations on your CMM finish.

Kim said...

Where's that race report?? Doug said you had a great time. Congrats!