Monday, July 7, 2008

Psycho Psummer

Within miles of the urban setting of Kansas City, lies a hidden paradise for trail runners. Wyandotte County Lake Park is the setting for a number of different trail events in the area; this race featuring a 50K, and a 15 miler. One might be described as 'Psycho' should they consider running one of these tests on hilly, rocky, muddy trails in the mid-summer heat of the Heartland. Myself and hundreds of others aren't as crazy as you think.

If you ever considered doing a trail race, you may want to choose a race put on by the Trail Nerds of KC. Ben Holmes and his gang do a first class job with these events.
  • There is more food than any marathon I've run - how 'bout a freshly grilled burger after the race! Or a vegan burger should you so desire
  • The friendliest volunteers - seriously, they genuinely make you feel as if you're the most important person on the course
  • The best looking shirts you can actually be proud to wear
  • A Trail Nerds bandanna - soaked in ice cold water and personally draped across the back of your neck by Ben himself after you finish
  • Free photos by Dick Ross, who shoots for many of the local races


It was a near picture perfect morning in KC for a run in July, and at 8am we were given last minute instructions from Ben. "The ticks have been bad this year", he warned, "so be sure to address them properly, they prefer to be called Arachnid Americans!!" After a good laugh, we're off.

I met up with one of my running buddies from the Olathe Running Club, Margaret, and we started off together. After the first big downhill, my fat old body couldn't fight the gravity and I sped out in front of Margaret and never did get back with her. I felt really bad, I wanted to be there to encourage her if she needed, but she's an outgoing, energetic young lady that would have no problem finding support.




My strategy for this type of run will be to walk the steep uphills and run the rest. I was doing quite well for most of the first half, but began walking some of the easier hills after the midway point. The course is predominately single track, with many rocks and roots and uneven footing. There is a few sections of paved road and a small section of gravel road. The terrain is certainly varied enough to make it interesting. There are plenty of great views, but don't look up too long, or you'll risk planting your face on a rock!

The women of the Trail Nerds are fondly referred to as 'Mud Babes' and of course, the trail delivers the goods. Somewhere in the last 1/4 of the course, the serious mud is lurking. I try unsuccessfully to dodge the mud, but to no avail. At one point, my shoe is sucked right off my foot! Later, I came across a beautiful clean stream, stop and wade through the deepest part (which is only ankle deep) and clean off my shoes. There, that will make things easier now.........well, that didn't last long, but remember; MUD IS FUN!

With the extra mud in tow, I finally leave the trail and begin the last leg across the open green pasture leading to the finish line. I'm feeling good about my time, but sad that the run is almost over. This is such an enjoyable and challenging course. The timer shows that I finished in 3:14:11, which would be the best pace I've run on this course yet.
Maybe next year I'll attempt the 50K.

7 comments:

Nitmos said...

Man that looks like fun. And what a great way to dispose of used up running shoes. Going out in a blaze of glory (and mud)!

Nice job!

JWC said...

Excellent race-time and race report!
I'll have to wait for the plant-life to die out in the fall before I can hit the trails again.

Topher said...

I seriously say this every time I read a Nerds race report, but I really need to do one of the trail races. I did the Pilgrim Pacer last year, but that's a road race. It just looks so awesome running through the woods and getting dirty! Nice job.

Anonymous said...

Good report. I was in the 15-miler also. The mud was tough...then there was the sucking mud. A heard a least two people say they had shoes pulled off by the quagmire.

Lily on the Road said...

What a riot! Sounds like a GREAT run...

I'm thinking of a 50K run next year, we must be getting crazier as we get older!!

Kim said...

I know this is a little late-but Congrats! I wish I would have been smart and signed up early but I didn't and didn't want to pay the cost of waiting to long.

Sounds awfully familiar with the mud. I did do the Winter edition (10 miler though) this past season and it was the toughest-but most fun race. Ben does a great job.

Congrats again!

Ms. V. said...

Wow. Cool run! I couldn't figure out why my computer was playing music for awhile here.

It's Coldplay, so it's all good. Or is it well?

Great blog.