If you ever considered doing a trail race, you may want to choose a race put on by the Trail Nerds of KC. Ben Holmes and his gang do a first class job with these events.
- There is more food than any marathon I've run - how 'bout a freshly grilled burger after the race! Or a vegan burger should you so desire
- The friendliest volunteers - seriously, they genuinely make you feel as if you're the most important person on the course
- The best looking shirts you can actually be proud to wear
- A Trail Nerds bandanna - soaked in ice cold water and personally draped across the back of your neck by Ben himself after you finish
- Free photos by Dick Ross, who shoots for many of the local races
It was a near picture perfect morning in KC for a run in July, and at 8am we were given last minute instructions from Ben. "The ticks have been bad this year", he warned, "so be sure to address them properly, they prefer to be called Arachnid Americans!!" After a good laugh, we're off.
The women of the Trail Nerds are fondly referred to as 'Mud Babes' and of course, the trail delivers the goods. Somewhere in the last 1/4 of the course, the serious mud is lurking. I try unsuccessfully to dodge the mud, but to no avail. At one point, my shoe is sucked right off my foot! Later, I came across a beautiful clean stream, stop and wade through the deepest part (which is only ankle deep) and clean off my shoes. There, that will make things easier now.........well, that didn't last long, but remember; MUD IS FUN!
With the extra mud in tow, I finally leave the trail and begin the last leg across the open green pasture leading to the finish line. I'm feeling good about my time, but sad that the run is almost over. This is such an enjoyable and challenging course. The timer shows that I finished in 3:14:11, which would be the best pace I've run on this course yet.