Tuesday, June 17, 2008

5 Questions answered

I've been tagged by Jenny, so I guess I'll give a shot at answering the 5 running questions given.

1- How would you describe your running 10 years ago?

Just about 10 years ago was when I quit smoking (after 25+ years) and began to live a healthier lifestyle. I joined a gym and was just beginning to try out the treadmill. I did my first long run that year; 1 mile!!

2-What is your best and worst run/race experience?

For the best, I've got to go back to that very first race I ever ran, Hospital Hill in 2003. I ran the 12K and will never forget the ecstatic feeling I had just crossing the finish line. I didn't train much, having run no longer than 4 miles in any one day. I became hooked on that day.

The worst experience was probably the same race 4 years later, but I ran the half marathon this time, just about 5 weeks after running my first marathon. I hadn't recovered well enough from the marathon and I struggled the entire run. I remember that my daughter ran with me and would run backwards facing me, all while yelling at me to keep pushing. I didn't listen well, I think I stopped numerous times to walk.

3- Why do you run?

It used to be that running was just a way to help stay in good enough shape so I could continue to play hockey. Once I hung up the skates, things began to change. Running had now become the dominate athletic activity in my life. I run mostly because it is the anchor of a healthy lifestyle for me. Secondarily, I absolutely love the races, not because I try to be competitive with others, but I love to challenge myself. I'm hooked on the long runs, preferring endurance over speed.

4- What is the best or worst piece of advice you've been given about running?

Can't say I've been given any bad advice, but the best 'good advice' I was given was from a total stranger on the marathonguide.com website. Basically, when I was starting to feel sluggish and burned out, they told me to take 5 days off, then start training again. This was in the weeks leading up to my first marathon. I took the days off, came back that Saturday for my weekly long run and felt great. The remainder of the training went perfectly smooth. Rest is good my friends!

5- Tell us something surprising about yourself that not many people would know.

Because of my typical ordinary, boring lifestyle, most people probably wouldn't figure I was hooked on Karaoke. Yes, I would go out every weekend and sing if I could. I don't have the best voice, but some songs I do well, some I butcher pretty bad! It doesn't matter to me, I just have so much fun trying. We don't go out too much anymore, but I will go anytime anybody else wants to. In the old days, my favorite song to sing was Led Zeppelin's Black Dog. I haven't sung that one in many years. Today I enjoy doing songs by artists like Weezer, Green Day or Snow Patrol.

Well, most everyone I know on these blogs has already been tagged, so I'm not going to try and tag any others.

2 comments:

JWC said...

Karaoke - wow! I never would have guessed that in a million years!

Lily on the Road said...

Is there alcohol involved with your Karaoke? That's the only way I'd get up to sing LOL.

I'm worse than Cameron Diaz in my Best Friends Wedding!!!

Isn't fun to get to know all of us! I got tagged too!