Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Chicago Distance Classic

Let me first off say, "I LOVE CHICAGO!"

I ran this race for 2 reasons;

1. My daughter, Alison, just moved to Chicago and I wanted to run a race with her
2. I waited too long and the Chicago Marathon was already filled

I'm not going to spend a lot of time with this post; instead, I'll just add lots of pictures. It's a typical big city race, crowded, but well organized. The course runs from downtown along Lakeshore Dr, then turns back and runs up the bike/jogging trail right along the lake. Nice, but I'd actually prefer to run through the unique neighborhoods.

We were running well, hoping to finish around 2 hours. One of us, of whom I shall not refer to by name, had a battle going on between the stomach and breakfast, which consisted of the 'Vegan Take-a-Hike Scone,' from the local organic bakery. The scone and it's fibrous content won the battle, costing us a good 5 minute bathroom stop. Perhaps the concoction might be more aptly named the 'Take-a-Sh.....oh, never mind!

By the way, I am not a vegetarian.

Final time, 2:10:58. Respectable.



Alison's new apartment, the lower floor of this 4-story home in the Lakeview/Wrigleyville area


My favorite tavern, O'Donovans, right on the corner of her street. Great food!

.

I think they belive this year


Alison, myself and Ringo
If I were to be a Chicago sports fan, I'd definitely be a Cubs fan.
What a great atmosphere around the whole area!



Sue and Alison in the Chicago Skyline



Look, there I am, sporting my Trail Nerds bandana
as we head near the finish line.


We pose in Grant Park for a picture



Now, who could resist this? Not me



Nothing like a fresh Stiegls Marzen after a long hard run.

This lager has a pale yellow-gold hue. Toasty and bready aromas
follow through on a medium-bodied palate with soft malty
flavors and a hint of spicy and bitter hops on the finish. Delicious.

6 comments:

Kim said...

What a great time! You should be very proud.

I, too, also love Chicago. I'm headed there with the girls in about a month to see Wicked.

Glad you had a great time. Love the pics!

Ms. V. said...

Fiber always wins. Always. Great pictures!

Unknown said...

Your bandanna pales in comparison to my neon hues and Hawaiian shorts.

Moi aussi, j'adore Chicago! There are houses for sale on my street, you know...

JWC said...

LOL... you know what they say about Chicago - don't eat the scones!
Seriously - that's a great race time -- no s__t!

Nitmos said...

Chicago is an awesome locale for running. I've seen enough. The CDC is on my "To Do" list now.

Congratulations.

Michelle said...

So, i have a question..
where did allison get her cool running shorts!!!??? I want!!!

M

Oh great race!!!