Monday, August 18, 2008

Looking ahead

Time for a rest? Time to work on my golf game rather than do long runs on the weekend?

I doubt.

While my golf game does need some serious work, I just can't seem to make myself take any time off from running. I'll still get in some golf, but running will probably continue to take precedence.

For the first time in awhile, I do not have any current race commitments. I do, however, have a couple target races in mind. In particular, I’m close to diving in and taking on my first 50K. The runs I’m considering are the Blue Springs 50/50, a certified trail run or the Dude, Where’s The Trail?, a non-competitive trail run where maps are given for you to figure the out course on your own. Hmmm….adventurous, I like that! Also, Dude, Where’s The Trail? is a month later (late Nov) and I’m thinking I may need the extra time to prepare. If anyone has any insight on either of these, please let me know your thoughts.

There is also the North Shore Trail run at Clinton Lake on Sept 6th that I plan to do. This is a Trail Nerds event, but is more like an organized trail run than a race. Where could you have more fun for only 8 bucks? It is a race day sign up only, so there is no commitment. I’ve never run out at Clinton Lake, so I’m looking forward to this.

Sue and I signed up today to volunteer for the KC Marathon. We will be course monitors, so you can rest assured, you will not get run over by a car when going through our intersection! Once I get specific info, I’ll let you know where we’ll be.

We’re also considering another trip to Chicago. I’m thinking I’d love to go the weekend of the Chicago Marathon. Maybe we’ll even volunteer there too, or just cheer on the runners as the course come through the Wrigleville area in miles 7-8. This trip would be without the faithful family dog, Ringo, allowing us to do more in the city. Sorry Alison, ‘The Boy’ does not want to come visit you.

The rest of this month will have me concentrating on Fantasy Football. Yes, I love fantasy sports and football is the best. This time of year I’m bombarded with email updates, magazine articles and spreadsheets, all in the quest to win bragging rights for another year (and the possibility of some nice sized wads of cash.) Beating out 3-time Super Bowl Champion, ‘The D’, is always tough. Did I get that right, D?

Oh, and Alison: Here's a fact

I'm the Wiz

6 comments:

Ms. V. said...

A Seinfeld fan!

"The D" said...

You forgot first team to unite the titles of Superbowl Champ and Overall champ in the same year.

Did you know The Crue moved? He's south of K-10 and K-7 I think. either way its BFE for me.

Lily on the Road said...

ohhh, nice a 50K before the end of 2008, whew, this has been quite a year for you!!!

Keep me posted, I'm thinking 2009 for me....

Michelle said...

A 50K??? Oh my!!!

M

Kim said...

I have never done either but I think BS 50/50 is 4 out and backs from one central location. It's on the Blue Trace-which is trail-but not like Wyco. It's more of a crushed gravel trail and not roots, dirt, rocks kinda trial.

Dude, Where's the Trail I thought about doing, but it didn't have the best timing for me and then I got to thinking...it's not a course course...it's here's the course-go find it and try not to get lost-more of a fun run with directions on how to get to the next stop from where you're at-so I got to thinking, if I'm attempting my first 50K, do I really want to go any further than I have to!

Come out and do Flatrocks 50K September 27th. Doug and I are headed there.

Unknown said...

Are you going to write about the Chicago marathon now?