Thursday, March 27, 2008

Good bye winter solstice

After reading about Lily's recent encounters with running in the Canadian winter (or is it Canadien, what's the difference anyway), I had to go to my running log and pull some numbers. I've been to Canada many times, grew up in Michigan, and enjoyed many snowy days. In fact, snowmobiling was one of my favorite pastimes until I moved to KC. This is the second winter in which outdoor running represented the majority of my training. Being a spoiled wimp when it comes to cold, it was a difficult transition. Snow I like, but cold and windy are not two of my favorite adjectives, so let's see just how big a wimp I am!


We shall call the winter months November - February and these numbers are the totals from that time period.








February's miles were down a bit due to a couple reasons
  • An extended rest after a mild case of plantar fasciitis
  • A 5 day period fighting the 'crud' where I missed an entire weekend


Generally, winter here sees many big swings in temperatures. One day it's in the teens and snowing and a couple days later, we catch a nice 50 or 60 degree break. The difference this year; we didn't have many breaks. The numbers don't look too bad, so factor in the wind. Let's just say, if you live in the plains, wind is a fact of life, except the middle of the summer, of course, when temps reach the mid 90's regularly and you'd die for just a breeze! So, I've learned to embrace the cold, laugh at the wind and enjoy being outdoors.

Did I mention how happy I am that spring is here?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI,

I followed a link from Lilly's blog. Winter has been long and brutal for sure. I can't wait not to have to layer to go out for a run.

Canadian is the what you call people from Canada in English. Canadiens is French and the name of the Hockey team from Montreal. :)

Lily on the Road said...

Nice stats!

Glad you are able to get out and enjoy the weather, we are just now starting to see a little break in the winter. This has been a long one for sure.

This weekend for me is the 30K Around the Bay in Hamilton, Ontario which is about 8 hours away. I'm looking forward to it, but also a little nervous. This will be my longest run to date and of course I woke up with a wicked cold today. My first ever Marathon is in May, 3 days before my 55th Birthday. I just get crazier as I get older and enjoy every insane moment.

Hope you start to get a little more traffic on your blog, I'm enjoying following what you are up to a lot!

Swing by the other bloggers, they are really very friendly!

Trisaratops said...

I am so ready for spring! :) Currently where I do my open water swims, Lake Erie, is frozen. Brrrr.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and thanks for your vote! :) Looking forward to following your journey!