Saturday, March 29, 2008

Maybe I'm amazed

Being quite new to this whole blogging concept, I’ve become increasingly amazed each day as I read more stories and see how the blogging community links together.

Last year after running my first ever marathon, I began to write a review of my race just for fun. The story was posted at an online site http://yourrun.com/story.php?n=93 where I could just send the link for family and friends to read. How cool was this, I’m like a published writer, my picture is out there, I’m almost famous! I continued to write about my next couple races, but just did a word doc and sent that to family.

Then, this past February, I ran a trail race here locally. The local trail running club http://www.psychowyco.com/ or as they prefer to be called, the Nerds, have a message board that I frequent, to learn all the in and outs of trail running. I found a link to their leaders blog, BadBen and somehow from there, I figured out how to set up my own blog.

Since I’m still just a rookie blogger, unaware of any specific blogger etiquette, I will make a feeble attempt to respond to one of my new blogger friends Lily on the Road and write my own 6-word memoir. Well, not without a little story first to set it all up.

I’m at work, in the office, sitting at my desk, staring at the computer day after day after day. Yeah, it can be boring, but there’s also times I enjoy it very much and hey, I’ve got the internet at work and most often, enough time on my hands to explore a bit between naps. OK, so I haven’t been real busy lately, but as the corporate world goes, they cut staff and then added more responsibilities.

So, we're at a meeting with the ‘Big Cheese’ as he tries to calm the waves of people stressing from the overload of work. He does his little speech thing, spewing out all the corporate buzzwords he can in the allotted time. "We need to partner for the common goal, we need to execute flawlessly," all I hear is blah, blah, blah. He classifies our group into 2 types of people, what he refers to as the ‘criers and the screamers.’ You know, the screamer is the one yelling, “you can’t keep giving us more work and expect us not to make an error,” while the crier pleads “I can’t handle this, I go home stressed every night, I’ll probably burn the kids macaroni and cheese because of this.”

The Big Cheese then looks over at me and asks, “Rich, you’ve been quiet, what do you think about this?” After quickly trying to focus on whatever the heck it was he was talking about, I respond, “I don’t know, I’m the laugher in the group!”

So there, my 6-word memoir shall be:
I’m the laugher in the group

Now, what do I do about this ‘tagging’ thing? I don’t have a huge network of online friends, maybe that will come in time. I don’t even know how I’m supposed to go about this process, but for now, here are a few of the blogs I’ve been reading.

  • Jenny - another local girl whom I just met in person last night. I enjoy reading about her workouts, boot camps and comparing races.
  • Michelle - an excellent writer who seems to be writing directly to me when she talks about food.
  • Topher - this guy must be popular, I’ve seen him linked in many of the blogs I’ve looked at, probably because he’s entertaining to read
  • Triguy- a sports guy and tri-athlete who I hope to get some inspiration from. Oh, and possibly a twin brother separated at birth! I guess he got all the looks.

And of course, there’s BadBen, the leader of the Trail Nerds whom I spoke of earlier. Ok, I need to go run.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

Hi KC...thanks so much for the shout out!! I love that people read my blog and believe me, i read yours too!! Very nice and good running! :O)
Michelle

"The D" said...

Bad Ben also has a Brew blog you might be interested in checking out. He brews his own also.

JWC said...

Hi Rich,
I'll just start out by saying that your blog is a lot of fun and that I really enjoy your fresh perspective.
It was really nice to be able to meet you and your wife at the Olathe Marathon Expo on Friday night.
I to am new too this whole blog deal and am really enjoying it - especially when I can find engaging local running blogs like yours.
I'm honored to be in your list and really look forward to seeing you and the Mrs. on the local running scene in the months to come!

Lily on the Road said...

LMAO, you go in to meetings much like I do...snooooozzzeee.

Glad to hear that you are enjoying the blog world and reading up on all of the others out there that are pounding the pavement ~ just like us!

Doug said...

How was the Ashton marathon? I am looking at that one or Pocatello so I can knock out Idaho.

Kim said...

Hey KC-I volunteered AND ran it! I helped at the start line and then jumped in after I heard the cannon. Thanks for volunteering. I always try to do my part volunteering when I can as well. It's fun.

I would be interested in getting together at Kill Creek. That would be fun. I see you're aware of the Nerds. They have a group trail run on Tuesday nights at Shawnee Mission Park.I know my way around there-but have wanted to hit Kill Creek to see what it's like out there.

Also-Doug (above) does some home brewing himself. He's actually just made a batch of wine and has one in process right now. Maybe you two should hook up and exchange some goods!