Sunday, March 9, 2008

Red Bridge Ramble

The Red Bridge Ramble is the first trail run of the year in the 2008 Vasque Kansas-Missouri Trail Race Series. You can run the entire series and earn points along the way, culminating in a champion after the Psycho Wyco run in Feb 2009 or, like myself, just run these races for the pure enjoyment of being outdoors. It's also an excellent break from the demands of running on pavement on a regular basis. If you're new to trail running or want to give it a try for the first time, this is a perfect introduction to the sport. This race is a small, low key event made up of many local trail enthusiasts who are always willing to help a rookie. Warning; you will get wet, you will get muddy!




The morning started off like most early March mornings in KC, cold, as we were reminded that Punxatawney Phil did predict six more weeks of winter last month. On top of that, some number crunching politician figured if we start daylight savings time earlier in the year, we'll put more money in everyone's pockets (except mine.) So today I began my day at 6:oo am, well it's really 5:oo am, oh, I don't know, it's just cold out! I arrived at Minor Park ready to shed this chill and work up a sweat. There are about 80 others brave souls who have the same plan. I see a number of faces I recognize, seems there's quite a few regulars that attend these runs.


The course is going to be modified somewhat today as a safety precaution. Original plans had us crossing the Blue River, but knee-deep waters and strong currents make crossing too dangerous. Besides, we all signed up to run, not swim. The normal 8-mile run will this day only be in the 6 to 7 mile range. After last minute instructions, we're all ready to get started. Just like on the elementary school playground, somebody yelled, "On your mark, get set, GO!"


The first few miles of this course are relatively easy, some open field, wide smooth trails and just some gentle rolling hills. The biggest problem early on is learning how to maintain your footing. The lower elevations on the course are muddy, but the ground is frozen with hundreds of footprints, which makes landing on flat ground almost impossible. I'm careful to watch where I step, but it's difficult to make out the terrain as all the footprints blend together. Well that, and I don't wear my glasses running, so it's all a blur anyway. A short distance into the race, we come to the first of multiple stream crossings. The water is only ankle deep, but provides a thorough soaking to the lower extremities. The water is numbing cold, but the sensation only lasts a few minutes and soon you've forgotten it all. The course continues to become more challenging as many rocky areas, exposed tree roots and mud become more common. Eventually, one of the challenges catches me off-guard and down I tumble. I surreptitiously get back on my feet, looking around to see who may have witnessed this clumsy act. Oh cool, nobody's behind me! I check for blood: none, so on I go with only a bruised ego. Halfway through the run we have now climbed to the course's highest point and below you can see spots of whitewater on the Blue River. On the side of the trail I spot a lone golf ball. I know that the golf course is adjacent to the park, but that must have been one hell of a slice!





The remaining miles are a return trip on the out-and-back course. Overall, the course a decent challenge but not too technical for a first-timer. I would recommend this race to anyone that wants to get outdoors and allow a bit of the 'little kid' in him or her to escape. Enjoy nature, enjoy the camaraderie, enjoy running. Happy Trails

2 comments:

JWC said...

Hey there KC,

I saw your blog link at the ORC site.
I was the little short woman who was in front of you for maybe a mile or two. Totally agree with your post. After a couple of miles I decided to throttle it down and take it easy. See you at the races!

Anonymous said...

I googled Red Bridge Ramble 2009 and nothing came up, is the race going to help this year? Please let me know if my concerns are ungrounded. I absolutely love this event and its participants.