Sunday, March 23, 2008

What is success?

I believe it was Albert Einstein that once said, “If A equals success, then the formula is A equals X plus Y and Z, with X being work, Y play, and Z keeping your mouth shut.” Well, I'm buying into the work and play part, but now I've gone and challenged the 'keep your mouth shut' part.

While out on my Saturday morning run with my local club, it's a nice day, the sunrise is a beautiful ball of orange and there's a cool, crispness in the air that has somehow stimulated me to talk more than normal. Our conversations often center around running and sure enough, I've opened my mouth and mentioned that I think I want to try a Triathlon. Geez, that's like making a commitment right there, I should have just kept my mouth shut. Well, I guess we'll see if A can still equal success without Z.

OK, so let's get this crazy thought sorted out. I do a lot of running, no problem there. As for the biking, I do have my cheap little hybrid, a cross between a street and a mountain bike. It's the one that they sell to the consumer who doesn't know what he wants, just something to get a little exercise on the weekend. I ride it once or twice a year, so that could be a bit of a problem. And then there's the swimming. I swam across a half mile wide lake once at summer camp when I was 14 or 15. I remember how much fun it was, it wasn't horribly difficult, but wait, that was 40 years ago. Conclusion: I could drown. They can resuscitate me if I'm found within like 15 minutes of going under, right?

So, I'm not really talking about an Ironman here, rather a starter type race, you know, the 5-K of the triathlon world. I've selected a race called the Topeka Tinman

I love the name of the race, the Tinman. Sure, tin isn't quite as tough as iron, but it does have it's place in the world of metals. I mean, tin does show it's strength as it is unassumingly used for important and dynamic things like soup or tuna. Tin is even used to coat iron, protecting it from corrosion. So, using the "paper covers rock" theory, tin would actually beat out iron. If the name is any indication, this will be one tough race.
1100 yard swim
19.71 miles bike
7 miles run

Now that I've made the commitment to the entire world of bloggers, I need help. I have burning questions about how this all works.

What kind of swimsuits do athletes wear, do I have to make a trip to the local sports store for specialized gear?

What do you do after swimming, change into biker shorts, where would you change, would you just wear generic shorts that can be used for all events?

Where do you keep your shoes, your bike, your other clothes?

How do you keep certain areas of your torso from becoming numb when you're on a bike that long?

I'm serious, I really don't know how some of this works, so please, feel free to comment. Anyway, if I get through this, I guess we'll have to modify the formula for success to A=X+Y+C where C=commitment

5 comments:

triguyjt said...

hi k.c. i am flattered that lily recommended my blog...so please say.....thanks to lily for me, if i dont beat you to it....

congrats... the chinese proverb which i am sure you know "a journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step" well, you made the first step to triathlon because you declared it as a goal.

perfect.. i love your age , by the way, will you turn 55 in june??? we might be twins separated at birth...

anyway, the tinman is a cool name and the distances are very do-able for a first.. my first was actually shorter...the swimming was even in an outdoor pool, not even a lake or ocean.

you are on your way.. will answer more questions as time goes on.
delighted you stopped by. we won't be strangers, i promise

JWC said...

Now that you have exposed your goal to the universe by actually voicing to another person (see, I've only mentioned it in my blog - so I'm still technically safe ...heh heh) you have to go through with it now - so congratulations on your goal! That is awesome!

As I understand it from my tri friends, the way you set up your transition area (where you will be changing -ect...) is very important. The faster you are in the transition, the better off you will be time-wise. These guys have it down to a science. Take a look at a triathletes shoe laces sometime - you will notice pull-cords instead of traditional laces... little details like that give them an edge in the competition.

There is time between now and June to research all that stuff and I wish you the very best luck in your new endeavor!

Go Rich go!

"The D" said...

Go to www.trifind.com. Pick an event that is before the one you want to do and volunteer. That will give you the best idea of how these are set up.

As far as suit go, shoot for a spandex shorts. They will dry quick and you could wear then all day.

Lily on the Road said...

Glad you two "met" up...I think that you can get that Tinman goal done with the help of JT.

Stay in touch, the blogger world is just opening up for you!!

Enjoy...I can hardly wait to hear more about your training....

Michelle said...

Hello, i just found your blog and want to congratulate you on making this commitment! I honestly do not think i would be able to handle a tri! So, i will be rooting for you!

My blog is:http://runningdowndreams.wordpress.com/

Take care and keep on running!
Michelle